- This event has passed.
Rajasthani Lime Water Tank Workshop
Learn the art of crafting an all natural lime water tank directly under the guidance of Master Artisan Rafiq Muwal. Lime water tanks have been used in India for thousands of years. Under every house in the old city of Ahmedabad you will find one, providing a pure source of drinking water for the inhabitants. In Rajasthan all those step wells and Baodi’s are constructed with lime.
Lime is a natural purifier. Switching to a lime water tank will free you from the exposure to toxic chemicals that may be leaching into your water currently held in plastic tanks.
In this seven day workshop you will learn practically how to :
- Design requirements for your water tank
- How to prepare & mix mortars
- How to build brick masonry walls using lime mortar
- Thappi plaster
- Lohi Plaster
- Waterproofing using herbal admixtures
Practical sessions will be supplemented with theory sessions on:
- Lime Cycle
- Herbal Admixtures – their characteristics & beneficial properties
- Benefits of Lime vs Cement
Workshop Inclusions & Cost Rs 21000
- Practical instruction directly under the guidance of highly skilled master artisan Rafiq Muwal
- Theoretical sessions provided by Kimberley
- All materials and equipment
The location for this workshop is our best yet. Jakob & Felizitas are as interesting as their cottages are stunning. Originally from Austria and Germany they have been calling India home since the 1980s. Jakob is an anthropologist with a wonderful design aesthetic which has allowed hime to create the truly magical Bear Cottage. A fusian of Austrian & Himachali temple architectures with extensive use of glass, so that you feel like you are outside whilst being in. This peaceful retreat is located in the middle of the forest above Mcleod Ganj with no car access. One week in this haven will not be enough for you, we guarantee it!
Accommodation Inclusions & Cost Rs 9800
- 7 nights accommodation dormitory style – the cottages are open plan so you will be sharing large open spaces. All bedding will be provided.
- Simple vegetarian meals three times a day including morning and afternoon tea.
Work Trade Positions
- Two work trade positions are available for a reduction in workshop fees.
- One position is for an architect skilled in freehand sketching. You will be required to provide sketches of the lime water tank construction process.
- The second position is for an experienced videographer/ editor able to create one or two short video clips of the workshop.
- For further details please get in touch via Whatsapp or email.