Rajasthani Lime Water Tank & Plasters Workshop & Spiti Valley Tour
May 22 @ 8:00 am – May 31 @ 5:00 pm
Combine an unforgettable journey to Spiti Valley with a 6 day hands on lime water tank and lime plasters workshop. We will be constructing a 5000 litre all natural lime water tank, the first in the valley. Master Artisan Dawood ji will be joining us all the way from Rajasthan to teach this time honoured tradition. This event is much more than just a natural building workshop.
You will be picked up in Shimla and spend two days driving up to Kaza exploring hidden architectural gems in Kinnaur & Spiti Valley along the way. Experience the cultural change along side material selection and innovative design.
Kath Kuni, stone masonry, rammed earth, adobe, wood carving, slate & flat mud roofs, Himachal is home to diverse people and landscapes. Their homes still reflect this. We will take you off the beaten path sharing some amazing sites unknown to mass tourism.
What You Will Learn During the Spiti Valley Tour
- Visit various examples of diverse vernacular buildings – private homes, temples, monasteries & forts
- Understand the adaptations made in different regions to create homes suited to the local climatic and social context utilising abundant local resources.
- Learn about vernacular adaptations that enabled buildings to survive for thousands of years in a severe seismic zone.
- Meet with traditional artisans still practicing their traditional craft
- Witness and understand the architectural changes taking place as people race towards a perceived modernity.
What You Will Learn During the Lime Water Tank Workshop
- How to build a Rajasthani Lime Water Tank from beginning to end
- Be part of the construction of a live site – We will be building a 5000 litre underground tank
- Foundation, base, floor, brick and lime mortar masonry for walls
- Thappi – base plaster, Lohi – finishing plaster, Araish Polished – Lime & Marble Plaster
- The use of bio-enzymes for natural waterproofing.
- Theory – Lime cycle, various different types of lime, Fundamental differences between vernacular materials and modern industrial ones, Calculating material quantities & costs
Inclusions & Cost ₹43000 – Workshop & Tour / ₹28300 – Workshop Only (inc. 6 nights accommodation & food)
- Transport from Shimla to Kwang village & back in a private tempo traveller.
- Accommodation during tour – on a twin / triple sharing basis in simple clean hotels.
- Dormitory accommodation in a traditional mud house in Kwang village for 6 nights during the workshop.
- Simple vegetarian breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday.
- Morning and afternoon tea.
- Participation in a small group tour / plasters workshop with maximum of 16 participants.
- Expert teaching, guidance & one on one attention from Master Artisan Dawood ji.
- All materials and tools required for workshop
- Theory sessions and extra reading materials
- One day guided tour of surrounding villages in Spiti Valley, including transport
- Tour personally guided by Kimberley, who has been living in & exploring the region for the last 8 yrs.
Itinerary for Spiti Valley Tour
- Day 1 – Pick up from Shimla – drive to Rampur Stay at HP Tourism Hotel – Twin Share
- Day 2 – Early start drive to Ropa Valley & Kanom Monastery Stay at Pooh @ Om Guest House – Triple Sharing
- Day 3 – Drive to Kwang village stopping off in Tabo to visit 1000 yr old Monastery Stay @ Kwang village Dormitory
- Day 4 – Introduction to Lime and other materials – mortar preparation laying the base and floor
- Day 5 – Brick and lime mortar masonry – wall construction
- Day 6 – Wall construction continued – Village tour exploring vernacular architecture of Spiti Valley
- Day 7 – Thappi Plaster application – Preparation of Lohi Plaster
- Day 8 – Grinding of Araish Plaster and Lohi Application
- Day 9 – Araish Plaster Application
- Day 10 – Drive from Kwang village to Rampur via Nako – Stay @ HP Tourism Hotel
- Day 11 – Rampur to Shimla drop.
How to Register
To sign up for this workshop please fill out the google form at the following link https://forms.gle/gTVqzBdTQwvXdgZX9